Tuesday 31 December 2013

The Living Mountain

The sentiments conveyed in this radio 4 programme on Nan Shepherd's essay on the Caingorms resonate deeply with me. Many years ago when I was still a fit and competitive young thing obsessed with getting to the summit of the highest hill on every trip, I remember charging past a SSSI poster and commenting to my brother that we probably walked straight past wonderful flora and fauna all the time in complete ignorance. That energy got me to some memorable places, but I'm so glad that like her I also learnt to walk 'into' the mountain as well as up and now don't care where the summit is as long as I've experienced the place; a journey into being. If you miss the radio programme you can still share Nan Shepherd's insights in her collected works that include 'The Living Mountain'.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03mfndd

No comments:

Post a Comment